Career in Medical Lab Technician: Medical Lab Technology (MLT) is a fascinating field that helps doctors diagnose and treat illnesses. Imagine being a detective for diseases! MLT professionals, known as Medical Lab Technicians, play a crucial role. They perform tests on blood and other body fluids to figure out what’s going on inside our bodies.
In MLT, you can specialize in different areas like:
- Haematology: Studying blood cells.
- Microbiology: Investigating tiny organisms.
- Immunology: Understanding our immune system.
- Endocrinology: Focusing on hormones.
- Nephrology: Exploring kidney health.
- Parasitology: Dealing with pesky parasites.
This article will give you insights into MLT, helping you decide if it’s the right profession for you. You’ll learn about admission procedures, eligibility, colleges, job opportunities, and salaries. So, put on your lab coat and explore the fascinating world of Medical Lab Technology!
Below we have mentioned the Medical Lab Technology course details. Let’s have a look.
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Lab Technology
Bachelor of Medical Lab Technology (B.M.L.T.)
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Lab Technology
Certificate Courses in Medical Lab Technology
Diploma in Medical Lab Technology (D.M.L.T.)
|UG: 3 years
PG: 2 years
|UG: 10+2 with 50% marks
PG: BMLT degree
|Animal Health Technologist, Biotechnology Laboratory Worker, Laboratory Technician
|Forensic Science Laboratory, AIIMS, Apollo, Fortis
What is Medical Lab Technology?
Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) is a fascinating field that is crucial in healthcare. Let me break it down for you:
- What is MLT?
- Medical Laboratory Technology deals with preventing, diagnosing, and treating various diseases using clinical laboratory tests.
- It involves analyzing body fluids (like blood, urine, and tissue samples) to detect health conditions.
- MLT professionals perform complex procedures and tests to help other healthcare experts identify and treat diseases in patients.
- What Do MLT Students Learn?
- Human Physiology and Anatomy: Understanding how the body works and its structure.
- Biochemistry: Studying chemical processes in living organisms.
- Pathology: Learning about disease causes and mechanisms.
- Microbiology: Exploring microorganisms and their impact on health.
- Clinical Hematology: Focusing on blood-related disorders.
- Immunology and Serology: Investigating immune responses.
- Biomedical Waste Management: Ensuring safe disposal of medical waste.
Various Medical Lab Technology Courses in India
To work as a Medical Lab Technician or to make a career in Medical Lab Technology, one can earn a degree in the following a Medical Lab Technology course.
|Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Medical Lab Technology
|Bachelor of Medical Lab Technology (B.M.L.T.)
|Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Medical Lab Technology
|Certificate Courses in Medical Lab Technology
|6 to 12 months
|Diploma in Medical Lab Technology (D.M.L.T.)
How to get admission to the Medical Lab Technician Course?
- To be eligible for MLT courses, candidates should have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate in the science stream including Physics, Chemistry and Biology as main subjects.
- Candidates get admitted to college through entrance and merit-based.
Candidates should carefully opt for courses and check the eligibility criteria. Below, we have mentioned the eligibility criteria for the Medical Lab Technician course. Let’s take a look.
|The minimum age limit is 17 years.
|10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in the science stream (PCB)
|Qualifying Entrance Exam
|Entrance and Merit-based
The syllabus for the BMLT course is divided into 3 years. Below we have compiled the BMLT syllabus. Let’s have a look.
|Bacteriology, Immunology and Parasitology
|Virology, Mycology and Applied Microbiology
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II
|Haematology and Blood Banking
|Histopathology and Cytopathology Techniques
|Essentials of Medical Pharmacology
|Communication for Professionals
|Basic and Clinical Pharmacology
|Fundamentals of computer science
|Biomedical Techniques, Lab Management and Ethics
Career Opportunities after Medical Lab Technology
A lab technologist plays a crucial role in helping the public maintain a healthy body, along with a doctor. A specialized Lab Technologist can easily find a job under the specialized branches. Medical Lab Technicians are in massive demand for Biochemical laboratories. One can find multiple opportunities in nursing homes, private or government hospitals, pathology laboratories, blood banks etc.
Those with sufficient skill sets and experience can find jobs as supervisors or managers in many Medical Laboratories. Other positions where a Lab Technician can apply include healthcare administrative, educational consultant, Lab Coordinator, Laboratory information system analyst and hospital outreach, coordinator.
|Animal Health Technologist
|Biotechnology Laboratory Worker
Roles of Medical Lab Technician
- Forwarding test results to physicians
- Keeping accurate records of test results
- Collecting, preparing and storing specimens
- Explaining test procedures to patients
- Examining and approving samples other professionals collect
- Ensuring optimum integrity, quantity and type of test samples
- Preparing lab reagents and standard solutions for tests
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment
- Standardizing test procedures to ensure consistency, reliability and usefulness of results
- Calibrating equipment, developing standard operating procedures and determining correct reference ranges for tests
- Using automated equipment and computerized lab instruments to perform several tests simultaneously
Skills of Medical Lab Technician
- Reading comprehension
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- Physical stamina
BMLT graduates can earn handsome after completing their studies. Below, we have compiled the medical lab technician’s salary. Let’s take a look.
|INR 2.56 LPA
|INR 2.09 LPA
|INR 2.03 LPA
|INR 3 LPA
|INR 3.75 LPA
The following are the recruiting companies
|Forensic Science Laboratory
|BLK Super Speciality Hospital
|Batra Hospital and Medical Research Centre Delhi